The Geek Superbowl is HERE!!!

We’ve made it! Week 3 Results have been tallied, and we have our winners and our losers for the last round of battles. First, the LOSERS:

Dean held his own during his first two battles, but he was no match for everyone’s favorite android, Data. Data gets Dean easily with a phaser shot to the chest. Goodbye, my beloved demon hunter. If you need comforting with your defeat, I’m right here.

After brutally crushing his opposition in the past, John McClane is taken down by a teenage girl. I don’t know why that amuses me so much—I am a huge Die Hard fan, and I have great faith in Mr. McClane—but the fact that he was beaten by a teenage witch totally tickles me. I assume she froze him and then pushed him off the roof. If only he would stop going up into tall buildings . . .

And now . . . the fight we’ve all been waiting for . . .

The 2011 Ultimate Geek Battle of Blood . . .

VS

VS

VS

VS

VS

VS

VS

16 contenders went into this tournament, and the only two with any kind of superhuman abilities were Data and Hermione. Personally, I find this fascinating. Where’s the belief in the human spirit, voters? Every science fiction and fantasy tale in existence likes to stack their underdog human hero against more powerful villains, and their only true weapons to defeat said villains are the powers of perseverance, of spirit, of love. In essence, it is the hero’s humanity that allows them to win.

Apparently here, on this blog, humanity can kiss its sweet ass goodbye because it just got avada kedavra’ed and shot out the friggin airlock for good measure.

Oh well.

Now, more importantly . . . who will win the Geek Superbowl this year? Who will you vote for to be your champion? Is it android or witch? Technology or magic? Science or faith?

Voting is up until Tuesday, February 15th at 11:59 pm.

I’m excited to see who will take the crown.

This entry was posted in SURVEYS. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The Geek Superbowl is HERE!!!

Hmmm I considered that if we chose for the fight to take place in outer space, Data would win because hermoine would have trouble breathing, never mind saying magic words. But then I figured Hermoine would still have various enchantments that might keep her safe for a bit.

I think I’m going to need some people who are bit more knowledgeable to make some suggestions before I feel confident enough to vote on this.

2. Captain says:

Hermione has this one. Despite being magical in nature, she was born and raised a muggle and does have a pretty good understanding of technology, at least enough to predict how Data differs from a human and how a phaser works. Data, on the other hand, probably wouldn’t understand wizardry, which is covered by neither his experience nor his programming.

3. Jaime says:

Data for science!

4. Patrick says:

Science! It works, bitches!

Data all the way.

As I said before with that Harry Potter gif (link below), the key to winning will be speed and accuracy and Data has both. As has been said above, science works. So do guns. In the end, there’s much less hassle involved in just shooting someone and a gunshot doesn’t really leave much time to plan in advance. All Data has to do is fire from far enough away and Hermoine won’t have the time to prepare for what’s coming.

Data wins.

6. Diana says:

Hermione wins! As much as I love science and its logic, it cannot keep up to magic and fantasy!

7. rorf says:

Oh. no. As of right now it’s tied, and I’ve really been agonizing over this one all week!

Ok, ok…here are my thoughts. Hermione’s magic is definitely not as powerful against Data as against anyone else in this competition. She can’t avada kedavra him (he’s an android, I’ve decided he’s immune), and I think this would probably apply to a lot of spells, like the confundus curse, cruciatus, curse–any spell which in any way relates to the victim’s mind or soul…in fact, even spells impacting the body would probably work differently with Data, so most of the curses are out. Hermione’s best bet would be to manipulate the environment around him–crash the ceiling down or hurl boulders or whatnot.

Data’s strategy would have to be (1) to try to shoot Hermione as fast as possible with his phaser, before she could figure out the perfect spell to squash him, and/or (2) if she put up a shield against his phaser, to overwhelm her with technological know-how and physical strength.

This is a super close battle, and it could absolutely go either way, but I’ll vote Data. Hermione would throw lots of spells at him, but I think he would be able to stay up long enough to shoot her.

, his strength and speed would let him phaser her ass way too fast.

But, I think the only fair way to do this is to assume that it’s a fair fight, and both of them are on something like neutral ground. Given that, I think Hermione would use protego

8. rorf says:

lol, I spent so long rewriting my answer and changing my mind that I left on several paragraphs at the end from an old version. whoops.

• In the interest of full disclosure, I feel I should probably mention that I know a few people who just tell me their votes directly. So the tally may not be quite what you think it is. Devious! Devious! Bwahahaha!

Also, in a shocking twist, all of my Star Trek RPG friends so far have picked Data : )

9. Brandon says:

Data.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.