After All, Not Every Superhero Movie Can Be The Dark Knight

Well, let’s settle last week’s poll first: the director of the (imaginary) remake of Star Wars is . . .

Guillermo del Toro!

Guillermo CRUSHED the competition. It’s not like I expected Wes Anderson to get any votes, mind you, but I wasn’t quite expecting the landslide in del Toro’s favor, either. (I’m not sure why. That’s probably who I would have voted for too. Still. I thought I get a few more Tarantino votes, if only for pure curiosity’s sake.)

Zack Snyder came in for a very distant second, but this battle was all del Toro. Which means that the bar on Tatooine will probably be full of aliens that look like this:

Now, for this week’s poll:

This entry was posted in MONDAY MORNING BLASPHEMOUS POLL. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to After All, Not Every Superhero Movie Can Be The Dark Knight

For me it’s a toss-up between Green Lantern and Captain America. But not much of one. I have absolutely no idea what to expect from Captain America and don’t much care, whereas my reason for not being interested by Green Lantern is because there have been a few trailers now and they’ve all been horrendous.

By contrast, I’m strangely fascinated by Thor. Sure, this major scandanavian god sounds like he went to Eton and yeah Kenneth Branaugh (I s**t you not)’s track record for directing movies that aren’t adaptations of Shakespeare is pretty poor. (Anyone actually LIKE his version of Frankenstein?) Yet all the promotional material has left me quite excited. (Not that this means much. Terminator Salvation made me feel the same way.)

Still, the one I am absolutely most excited about is Matthew Vaughn’s latest movie. This guy has a seriously good track record:
    Layer Cake
    Stardust
    Kick-Ass

and now “X Men: First Class” (with Jennifer Lawrence from Winter’s Bone amongst many others in this awesome cast). Surely the person who voted for this one made a mistake…

2. Becki says:

Just wanted to say that Guillermo del Toro is one of my favorite directors, by far. =3 All of his movies that I’ve seen are amazing. It was fun imagining what Star Wars would be like in the hands of all the directors listed in the poll. But Guillermo probably would be the best fit if they ever did remake it (and that’s not just my personal bias speaking, I promise).

• I’m going to have to try Hellboy again. I didn’t really like it the first time I watched it, but I was in kind of a mood at the time, and it seems like the kind of movie I would like.

• Dave Nielsen says:

It’s been a while since I’ve seen either Hellboy movie but I thought they kicked ass. They stayed true to the comics, and Hellboy is a great character.

3. Craig says:

Re: The new poll, I’m going to see all of them, but I am the least interested in X-men, simply because it’s both been done recently AND it’s been done POORLY recently. I’d much rather see something new than see something being rehashed.

And yes, I am aware that there was a Captain America movie a couple decades ago, but that sucked when I was a kid, X-Men: The Last Stand sucked just a few years ago.

Damnit, there was no “All of the above,” option.

• Not a big superhero movie fan, huh?

• Teacups says:

Noooo. They’re not bad, but I just don’t get a lot out of those kinds of action scenes, I’m usually pretty meh on the hero, and I rarely care that much about the plot. There are some that I enjoy, but then it’s rarely the superhero stuff itself that really sticks with me in the end. Actually, the only superhero movie I’d say I truly love is the recent Griff The Invisible, and that’s not even a proper superhero flick, it’s really a romance about two people who think that they have superpowers.

I think I might like KickAss though, when I see it. It sounds funny.

5. SkaOreo says:

For me, it’s Thor. Every thing I’ve seen of this film makes it look to be a bland, generic superhero film.

• Dave Nielsen says:

I can’t believe they picked Anthony Hopkins for Odin. He’s been good in other things, but definitely isn’t the right choice to play someone as colossally badass as Odin. I would actually have gone with mostly unknowns for this role. For Thor, I’d have scoured Norway for some muscular 6’6″ dude who could act. And we’re not talking about Lawrence Olivier level of acting here, either. Maybe a cut or two above your Arnies or your Stallones would have done the trick. Then maybe scoured the same country for a scary, 80-ish dude maybe a few inches taller.

• From what I’ve seen of the previews, I’m actually okay with Chris Hemsworth so far. I’ll take a decent ability to act and a pretty face over a 7 foot tall guy any day. Finding super tall, muscular guys who can act even a cut above Arnie seems like a huge challenge these days. (This is is why I’m also totally okay with Jason Momoa as Conan the Barbarian. Sure, he’s not a bodybuilder like Arnie . . . but he’s biggish enough, and he’s hot, and I have faith that he can pull out more than one facial expression. Somedays, I’m easy to please.)

But Anthony Hopkins as Odin? I just don’t get it.

• Dave Nielsen says:

I’m fine with Jason Momoa as Conan, and the fact that he’s less muscular than Arnie is a plus. The bodybuilder look for action heroes hasn’t been popular in a while. Although I hated 300, the physiques of those dudes – muscular but not muscle-bound – is the way to go and Momoa definitely has that. The Conan of the original pulp stories is written more like that. Are they going to have him walking around in He-Man garb as Arnie did? In stories he wore armor and wasn’t a superman. Well, you probably know but I don’t want to just assume that everyone’s read them.

Hemsworth’s size isn’t even the biggest problem. Based on what little I’ve seen he just comes across (at least out of armor) as a kind of dirty hippy. He doesn’t give much more than a hint of the nobility of Thor. Of course I’m basing this on the Thor I read back more than a decade ago. I’m not familiar with the Thor of today. He didn’t have a beard back then, and he talked in this kind of Shakepearean style. Maybe he doesn’t do that anymore.

Del Toro would definitely do a kick-ass remake, if he was given a completely free hand.

7. I expect they got rid of the Shakespeare-styled speech in an attempt to make it seem slightly less ridiculous.

I hadn’t thought of it, but I could see what you mean about the dirty hippie look. Maybe it plays better in context. I don’t know. I probably won’t see it until it hits DVD unless it gets amazing reviews, like, Dark Knight reviews. I’m just not interested enough.

• Dave Nielsen says:

The Shakespeare type dialogue would probably class it up a little. I recently went back and read some of the early Lee-Kirby Thors and when it’s done right it really adds something.

I too will probably wait until either it hits DVD or gets Dark Knight level reviews but I won’t hold my breath on the latter.