Admittedly, the Super Mario Bros Movie Did Suck Something Fierce . . .

Recently, I bought this Retron 3 gaming system which plays original Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and Sega Genesis games. And let me tell you, there’s been a lot of Super Mario Bros and Zelda going on in these walls for the past few weeks. Also, Jaws. Jaws the NES game is unexpectedly hilarious, at least with my friends.

So, I got to thinking . . .

As always, this poll lasts one week, so vote for your nominee before next Monday!

10 Responses to Admittedly, the Super Mario Bros Movie Did Suck Something Fierce . . .

1. Brandon says:

I threw my vote behind Zelda, but there were a few on here that could work.

Duck Hunt is a non-starter.

Castlevania could definitely work…although Van Helsing was pretty much Castlevania with Hugh Jackman.

Final Fantasy has already BEEN a movie. Yeah, it had nothing to do with any of the games, but it still counts…technically. Given the choice, I’d like to see FF6 over any of the others (no, FF7 is not “deep” and it isn’t the best of the games. Also Sephiroth is a goddamn pussy compared to Kefka. No contest who the better villain is there.)

Zombies are played out (but that game ruled).

And Punch Out has been a movie, too. It was called Rocky.

• As far as Final Fantasy goes, that’s why I added “live action” to the question. Zelda does seem to be leading the pack, but I bet you someday there will be a movie about Duck Hunt. There going to make a movie off of Battleship, for God’s sake. Surely, someone can come up with something for Duck Hunt : )

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is my favorite video game ever, and I’d love to see that particular game’s storyline adapted to film. I’ve always felt that, with a solid budget and a good director, Zelda could be turned into a very good adventure movie. Of course, video game movies are almost always terrible, no matter how awesome the game itself is.

A couple years ago on April Fool’s Day someone made a fake movie trailer for Legend of Zelda that was somewhat impressive. If you haven’t seen it, you should seek it out.

• Macabre says:

Here’s a link to the trailer I was just talking about. I love how Link is apparently a mute just like in the video games.

• I don’t remember the cartoon, but I do like the trailer you sent. It would never happen, of course, but it would be kind of interesting if Link was mute through the whole thing. You see that in side characters, sometimes, but never in the main hero.

• Brandon says:

“Do you remember the Legend of Zelda cartoon that used to come on? I tried watching a couple of episodes on HULU recently and it is beyond terrible. Link shoots laser beams out of his sword for Christ’s sake!”

Uh…you do know that in not only the original Legend of Zelda, but also Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (both for NES) AND A Link To The Past (SNES) that Link could, in fact, shoot lasers out of his sword when at full health, right?

Oh you crazy late-comers to the Zelda series. 8-Bit REPRESENT.

• Macabre says:

Yeah, I didn’t know that, so thanks for making me look like an idiot. I remember renting and playing both the NES version and SNES version when I was very, very young, but Ocarina of Time was pretty much my introduction to the series.

I just assumed the laser-shooting sword had something to do with cartoons of that time period being so restricted with the kind of violence they could show.

3. Brandon says:

The 80s was weird about violence. Like, you could HAVE it…and LOTS of it, but only if you threw in a PSA somewhere. See: G.I. Joe.

I’m honestly not sure where along the line the norm got changed, but you could do some crazy stuff then and get away with it. Hell, even in the Zelda cartoon Link was pretty much a pervert. The sexual innuendo was unbelievable in that show…but it flew right over our little heads.

Nowadays it’s just hilarious.

Duck Hunt: Mutant Ducks from Hell swarm through a dimensional rift into Earth, and only Bruce Campbell can save us. He shoots a lot of ducks with a really big gun, and teams up with a bad-ass, no-nonsense woman. They hate each other at first but at the end of the movie, after Bruce has almost died in the final battle, they realize how much they love each other and kiss. Credits roll. His character, of course, is a rogue lone-wolf type, probably an ex-Navy Seal who played by his own rules too much so they cut him loose but he’s the best there is at what he does. And no one belives in him or his plan at first.