Story Publication: Astronauts at DSF

Some writing news today: my story “Astronauts Can’t Touch You” is now available up at Daily Science Fiction. Fun fact: it’s the first story I’ve ever written that I feel would make for a decent music video.

Not gonna lie: I feel a little weird about this one, and not just because I’m an overly literal bastard who rarely writes stories that operate under Music Video Logic. As will likely become apparent to anyone who reads it, I wrote it very shortly after my father died in February, and while probably most of my stories are therapy stories in some way or another, I like to think that they’re not all quite so obvious as this one.

Still, I needed to write it, so I did. If you check it out, I hope you enjoy.

This entry was posted in WRITING and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Story Publication: Astronauts at DSF

1. Mara says:

I’m here directly from your latest story. It’s beautiful and it made me cry and it made me think. Ironically enough, I also wrote a story a few months after my father died (three years ago). Also in second person… It’s in an anthology about Gods and Demons… Isn’t it amazing how smoothly the themes of grief and fear and loss slip into the SFF frame? Anyway, wanted to tell you how powerful this story is and to thank you for opening your heart to write it the way you did.

• Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. I’m sorry to hear about your father. Sometimes, I find 2nd person the easiest to write in when its something particularly close to the heart. Glad to hear this worked for you, and thanks again!

2. rebeccamix says:

I’m sorry for your loss. I came here because I just read your DSF story and was incredibly moved by it. I had goosebumps by the end, and I am not a goosebumps-while-reading kind of person. You did a beautiful job with it.

3. Anonymous says:

“…when your father went and left his body behind,” is the most perfect, the most exact description of what it’s like to lose someone. I still have a lump in my throats and tears in my eyes.

This was really lovely, Carlie, and parts of it were hitting close enough to home to make me tear up. I hope it helped you.

On a less serious note, apparently when I was about eleven, I had a poem with a similar premise (er, minus the aliens and the astronauts) in the school newsletter. I barely remember this, but my mum does – mostly because she kept having to explain to well-meaning staff and other parents that the poem was fictional and my dad was fine. I guess I should’ve included a disclaimer.

• Thanks. It’s appreciated. ❤

Heh. That's funny. I can't remember if I've mentioned it before or not, but when I was about 13, I think, I showed my dad a part of a novel I was working on once (a blatant rip-off of The Stand, but YA) and immediately got a sit-down, all "what does this story mean to you" and "you're writing about the end of the world; are you feeling depressed?" I got all emotional and flustered at the time because that's just how I am, but inside I was like, "FICTION, Papa, FICTION."

We're gonna have to work on our disclaimers, I guess. 🙂

5. curiousful says:

Yeah, I just wanted to say, thanks for writing this. It really captures a feeling.

6. donnajwmunro says:

Just read your story. I lost my Dad in 2010 and totally fell right into this story with all my heart. Excellent and so well done. Thanks. I’ll look for more.